What is a cookie?
Cookie is a small packet of information sent by a web host to a your computer’s hard drive. These are small information files that allow websites to save and re-access information about user’s browsing habits.
Cookies are used by most web sites as they are one of the many tools that help to tailor web content to the needs of users. Cookies allow websites to provide services tailored to users' needs (for example, by remembering login data, keeping purchases in a shopping cart, or displaying only specific content that is relevant to the user).
There are different kinds of cookies:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies that are valid (and not removed) until you close the browser. These cookies provide access to content and the ability to comment;
- Persistent cookies - these cookies usually have an expiration date, but it is longer than the duration of the session cookies. These cookies are used in various features (for example, "remember me"). We also use these regular cookies so that we can understand the uses of the website and improve our website and select your favorite articles. This information is anonymous and we only look at the data. In other words, we do not see what information is being gathered - we only get personalized information.
How to remove a cookie?
Most browsers are set to automatically accept cookies. You can disable cookies in your browser, but be aware that if you do so, you may lose the ability to use the various features necessary to make the website work as intended. To remove cookies from your mobile phone, you will need to read the phone's instruction manual.
Types of cookies
- Strictly necessary cookies: these cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as access to secure website areas. In addition to these cookies, you would not be able to have your desired services, such as online shopping;
- Performance enhancing cookies: these cookies collect information about when users are using a particular website, such as which pages are visited most often, and whether visitors to web pages receive error messages. These cookies do not collect information that allows to identify the site visitor. All information collected by these cookies is generic and therefore anonymous. It is used only to improve site performance;
- Functionality cookies: these cookies allow the website to remember your chosen options (such as your name, language, or region) and offer enhanced personalized features. The information collected by these cookies can be made anonymous, and they can not monitor your browsing activity on other websites;
- Target or promotional cookies: these cookies are used to display advertisements that should be of interest to you and match your interests. They are also used to make certain ads visible to you for a limited number of times and to help measure the effectiveness of the promotional campaign.